Week 13: The Distance to the Moon

When we first discussed "writing for literature" I didn't really know what it meant. I don't think I ever paid attention to the difference between it and "writing for genre". With The Distance to the Moon, I started to realize the intricacies of literary speculation.

Even though it is a short story, I was impressed by the incredibly imaginative description of the main setting in which the story unfolds. The surface of the Moon, the way its gravity affects the Earth's gravity, and how everything in the surface floats toward it. In my head, it really felt like a work of art being displayed in front of me. I was mostly taken away by his description of the ocean water curving itself toward the moon as it approached the Earth. Breathtaking.

I think one could argue that The Distance to the Moon could be considered in a genre of fantasy with elements of science fiction, but I think it is more of a homage to human imagination. Considering that this story was published before humanity had been to the Moon, it was common for writers to fantasize about how our own satellite would be like. The Moon still has this mysterious aspect to it that entices artists to produce work about it, because it is, in a way, unattainable. In fact, this is a huge part of the story, where the narrator's mute cousin falls in love with the Moon, almost projecting the author's feelings about it. Even more so with Mrs. Vhd Vhd jealousy of the Moon, getting the attention of the one she desired. 

The Distance to the Moon is an adventure that shows us the richness of our imagination, that celebrates the beauty we can create with the tools available in our environment. This short story reminded me of the work of Jules Verne. I couldn't help but compare the way that both he and Calvino explore their curiosity about the Earth and its surroundings and produce works that transform them into elements of fantasy. Before we went to the Moon, that feeling of "what-if" is what, to me, perfectly describes the perceived genre of this short story. I think, however, it is not really necessary for us to make speculations about what genre this story fits in (or if it does at all). In fact, the best stories are those that dance around different genres and make us engage with new, unique worlds.

Comments

Popular Posts